It’s happened. The planets have aligned. You and your spouse finally have the same evening clear on your calendar and, even more miraculous, so does the babysitter! You know what this means, right? You might actually pull off a date night.
You and your spouse make it to a restaurant where you will eat a meal without crayons loitering around your table setting or having to play games of I Spy and Peek-a-Boo. You place your orders. You smile, almost shyly. You repeat the date night ground rule “No talking about the kids.” And then … crickets. You sit in awkward silence wondering, “What do we talk about?”
Sound familiar? You’re not alone. Next time you are sitting at that table, try these 12 conversation starters:
Memory Lane starts:
1. I still get a laugh thinking about that time when we…
2. My fondest memory of our dating days is…
3. I remember when we met. My first impression of you was…
4. I was just thinking of our wedding day. Remember when…
5. What’s the most adventurous thing you’ve ever done?
6. If money and time were no object, where would we travel?
7. I used to wish I could…. but now I wish….
8. Sometimes I imagine us as an old couple, and when I do we are….
9. How can I show you I appreciate you?
10. What makes you feel the most stress right now? How can I help you carry the burden?
11. What do I do that makes you feel loved?
12. Tell me about a time you felt really close to me. What was it that made you feel that way?
When we’ve been busy building a life, maintaining a home and raising a family, our lines of communication easily can get stuck on those tracks. Dedicate date night to going back to the time when your dialogue was focused on connection and discovering more about each other. Revisit those conversations where your goal was to dig deep into this person and understand what made him or her tick.